Re: Support new Japanese era "Reiwa" Re: 🌅 Eoan is open for development 👷

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Sat May 4 01:17:25 UTC 2019

On 2019-05-03 22:46, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> On 2019-05-03 16:48, Mitsuya Shibata wrote:
>> * Noto Sans CJK
>>
>> Noto Sans CJK V2.001 is released to support Reiwa's ligature (U+32FF).
>>
>> https://github.com/googlefonts/noto-cjk/releases/tag/NotoSansV2.001
>>
>> New upstream release bug is already filed in Debian.
>>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=926753
>>
>> Generating diff of font package is difficult, we should do SRU for
>> stable releases.
>> However fonts-noto-cjk package affects Chinese and Korean users,
>> if we do SRU, we needs to consult these users.
>
> Yeah, the changes compared to our current version 1.001 seem to be
> non-trivial.
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/googlefonts/noto-cjk/master/NEWS
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/googlefonts/noto-cjk/master/HISTORY
>
> I'd suggest that we sync to eoan from Debian experimental once it has
> been packaged there, and then start with evaluating version 2.001 on
> eoan. If we don't hit any important issues, SRUing to bionic+ ought to
> be doable. Probably, as you say, we should involve Chinese and Korean
> users for testing the -proposed packages before they are moved to -updates.

Second thoughts: I uploaded Hiroaki Nakamura's proposal to a PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj/+archive/ubuntu/fonts-noto-cjk

So you may want to call for testing right away. Maybe file a bug report
for the purpose, subscribe e.g. Ubuntu CJK Testers and Ubuntu
{Japanese,Korean} Team, and ask them to install from the PPA and report
their findings.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj