i386 architecture will be dropped starting with eoan (Ubuntu 19.10)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jun 24 17:17:13 UTC 2019

>On 6/23/19 12:51 PM, Mohamed Ikbel Boulabiar wrote:
>> My apologies for my long mail, and the kind-of rant.

Hi,

while I agree on many of your statements, those are not really related
to the 32-bit issue. Ubuntu still will support 32-bit for some while,
Arch Linux for example has already dropped it. The day when it will be
completely dropped by Ubuntu, too, you unlikely will be able to maintain
old 32-bit machines anymore, let alone that power consumption of old
machines already is a PITA and modern software requires new hardware
anyway.

Regarding your off-topic rant regarding creation, for niches such as
artwork, music production, etc. proprietary solutions are way better,
because of the huger communities. Linux nice communities are very small
and tend to be intolerant against people, who don't march lock-step
with the Linux nice's mainstream. Let alone that where the money is,
there is the better development. However, since I'm a Linux and Apple
user, Apple has got it's pitfall, too.

Regards,
Ralf