i386 architecture will be dropped starting with eoan (Ubuntu 19.10)

Thomas Ward teward at thomas-ward.net
Mon Jun 24 16:24:59 UTC 2019

According to Steve on Ubuntu Discourse [1]:

> I’m sorry that we’ve given anyone the impression that we are “dropping
support for i386 applications”. That’s simply not the case. What we are
dropping is updates to the i386 libraries, which will be frozen at the
18.04 LTS versions. But there is every intention to ensure that there is
a clear story for how i386 applications (including games) can be run on
versions of Ubuntu later than 19.10.

Not sure if this matters, but this is just dropping *updates* to the
libs, and they'll be perpetually frozen at the 18.04 version of the
libraries.  Clear guidelines will still need applied, yes, but the point
still stands this isn't 'eradicate the i386 libraries' it's 'we just
won't update them, they'll be frozen in time from 2018 versions'.

So I think there's some misunderstandings here about what exactly is
going on...

[1]
https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/i386-architecture-will-be-dropped-starting-with-eoan-ubuntu-19-10/11263/84?u=d0od