Sub-distro branding

Daniel Llewellyn diddledan at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 31 15:57:40 UTC 2019

On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 at 20:15, Ken Gilmer <kgilmer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I am new to this list and work on an unofficial "respin"
> Ubuntu-based desktop environment and also provide a livecd installer by
> using the Cubic tool.  Regarding branding, I am aware of options
> available[1] to "reskin" Ubuntu to add a custom brand, however I feel that
> being Ubuntu-based is a Good Thing and do not wish to mask that from
> users.  As such, I avoid most branding, but it would be helpful to users if
> I could differentiate between the base distribution (Ubuntu) and the DE or
> "respin" (in my case Regolith).  For example, GNOME has settings for
> setting branding but this for me is too heavy handed.  I would like the UI
> to say something like "Ubuntu with <flavor x>" instead of just "flavor x"
> or "Ubuntu".  I realize this may be too niche and/or the wrong list to
> discuss this topic but as it stands this is the best place I'm aware of to
> ask this question.
>
> In summary; I would like a feature that would allow me to specify my brand
> as a subset (AKA flavor/spin/respin) of Ubuntu, rather than having to
> choose either/or.  This sub-branding feature should be available in places
> where Ubuntu branding currently exists, such as gdm3, gnome-control-center,
> and /etc/os-release.

Hi,

To be able to use a project named *buntu or containing the word Ubuntu you
need to apply for a trademark license/exception. See sections 3 and 4 of
https://ubuntu.com/legal/intellectual-property-policy for full details, and
apply for your exception at
https://ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/contact-us

Best Regards,