Re: Dead acute + c still produces ć instead of the more widely used ç

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 5 20:41:29 UTC 2019

Hi Nilson,

On 2019-08-05 11:07, Nilson Santos Figueiredo Jr. wrote:
> I just got a new laptop and installed the newest LTS Ubuntu version.
> To my surprise, Ubuntu still cannot produce ç properly out-of-the-box
> in the regular way when using the "US international with dead keys"
> layout.
>
> I wonder why this behavior keeps continuing to be the default. We're
> in 2019 and I really didn't expect this to keep happening.

As others have mentioned in this thread, the default behavior is locale
dependent. There is an old bug with a lengthy discussion on the topic:

https://launchpad.net/bugs/518056

It appears that it's primarily Portuguese (especially Brazilian) users
who want '+c result in ç but at the same time want e.g. '+e result in é.
That combo can't be achieved via XKB only, which may be one reason why
the Windows and macOS behavior can't be easily mirrored.

Anyway, one persistent result of the bug I mentioned is this file:

/etc/profile.d/cedilla-portuguese.sh

With that the typical default behavior for Portuguese users is actually
the behavior you would like to see. OTOH, if you don't let the system
know in any way that you want '+c result in ç, the dead acute symbol
will result in an acute, and not cedilla, added to the following character.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj