Re: Dead acute + c still produces ć instead of the more widely used ç

Ricardo Bánffy rbanffy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 19:43:52 UTC 2019

Hi.

I'm a native Portuguese speaker and this bothered me a bit when I moved
over from Windows to Linux (at the start of the Gnome 2 era, IIRC, which is
the first time the ć thing appeared.

The solution I've been using since then is the right-alt key combined with
",". Still a bit confusing when using a Mac, but it works.

There are good reasons for both behaviors - dead acute is acute and when
composed with c it makes sense to result in a "ć". OTOH, an exception could
be warranted considering how many people need to write "ç" using a US
keyboard.

There may be some enlightenment in discussions from the time (early 2000's,
perhaps?) Gnome (or some other component it relies on) adopted it over the
Windows/8859-1 way (Macs adopted the Windows conventions much later).