ONE of my computers won't boot Ubuntu 19.04 (only) thumb drives

A. Richard Miller TheMillers at millermicro.com
Mon Apr 15 18:20:05 UTC 2019

Hi, All:

Perhaps this SHOULD be a worry before Thursday's release. Please advise...

For years, I've used UNetBootIn to burn draft Ubuntu .iso files and test
or install them on our computers at MMS, for our client Ubuntu users,
and at our monthly FOSS User Group meetings in Natick, Massachusetts, USA.

That worked for draft desktop Ubuntu 19.04, too - until about two months
ago. It still works on two of the three computers on which I test. But
since SOMETHING changed, I get a black screen, or repeating attempts to
read the thumb drive, on a Dell Inspiron 11-3157 netbook. (One of the
working computers is a near-identical Dell 11-3147 netbook!) I can still
boot and install successfully on the balky netbook, too, with Ubuntu
earlier than 19.04 using the same thumb drive or any other.

Newer .iso downloads and burns don't help. Other burner programs
(Startup Disk Creator, MultiWriter) don't help. Burning on a different
computer doesn't help. Burning onto other thumb drives* doesn't help.
(Although they ALL work on other computers.)

*- I've seen ONE exception. Less than two weeks ago, a friend burned the
daily .iso using his current Fedora and its default burning app, and
that thumb drive DID work on my netbook. (Sorry; I don't have it, and
don't know which app.)

Any ideas? Might this affect other users out there?

Thanks, from
--Dick Miller, Partner, MMS <TheMillers at millermicro.com
<mailto:TheMillers at millermicro.com>>
	Co-Leader, FOSS User Group at Natick Community-Senior Center
<http://millermicro.com/FOSSUserGroupNatick.html>

--
*| A. Richard & Jill A. Miller            | MILLER MICROCOMPUTER SERVICES |
| Mailto:TheMillers at millermicro.com      | 61 Lake Shore Road            |