calibre version 3.31

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 21 06:27:59 UTC 2018

Hi John,

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 09:41:15PM -0500, John wrote:
> I wanted to install Calibre for Linux Mint   The repository has version 3.21
> but the latest if version 3.31..
> Any change The newer version can be loaded in the repository?

Thank you for your interest.

calibre 3.31 is already in Cosmic so will be in the next release of
Ubuntu.

If you're interested in updates to existing stable releases, please
start by reading https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates (for
automatically recommended updates) and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBackports (for opt-in updates). I'm not
sure a calibre update to 3.31 in Bionic would meet SRU policy, but I'll
let you determine that for yourself as I don't know the detailed set of
changes that have taken place in calibre.

If someone is interested in making one, a snap for calibre might be a
better idea since it's a leaf package that could be easily updated on a
faster cadence than Ubuntu itself: https://snapcraft.io/

Hopefully that will help explain the options available to you.
Ultimately it is up to volunteers to create updates that meet our
policies, so if you can contribute that, this would be welcome.

Hope that helps,

Robie