iptables version upgrade timeline

Paul David paul.david at redbubble.com
Mon Nov 26 02:36:45 UTC 2018

Dear maintainers,

We use the iptables package (currently version 1.6.1) from Ubuntu,
currently we're running bionic.  However, there's a fix in upstream
iptables as of release v1.6.2 which we want to use on our systems.
Specifically, this commit:
<https://git.netfilter.org/iptables/commit/?id=8b0da2130b8af3890ef20afb2305f11224bb39ec>.

I noticed that on <https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=iptables>
that bionic, cosmic and disco distributions all have the same version of
iptables package, namely v1.6.1.

My question is, can we expect this package to be updated in LTS at some
point, or should we come up with another solution?  We could manually
build a package with a patch in it, but we're leery of doing that in our
production systems.

Apologies if this isn't the right forum for the question.

Thank you,

p.