About the Ubuntu Server in the Azure virtual machine gallery

Dimitri John Ledkov xnox at ubuntu.com
Tue May 29 14:06:33 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 27 May 2018 at 20:52, Tong Sun <uddaa.xpt at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see that in the Azure virtual machine gallery, it lists:
>
> Ubuntu Server
> https://azuremarketplace.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps/Canonical.UbuntuServer?tab=Overview
> Canonical
>
> Does it means that Canonical is responsible for creating such Azure virtual
> machines, or just this Ubuntu Server is copyrighted to Canonical?
>
> Basically I want to understand why the latest Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is still not
> available from the Azure virtual machine gallery yet, as it's been available
> for quite a while now. Thx.

The Ubuntu Project and Canonical build and publish these images in
azure marketplace.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is available, and you can find and launch it using
e.g. the Azure CLI.

However, the gallery is maintained by Microsoft. The change to include
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is in the process of rolling out across all the
regions. So Ubuntu 18.04 LTS should be available in the gallery soon.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.