Proposal: Let's drop i386

Simon Quigley tsimonq2 at ubuntu.com
Thu May 10 02:23:26 UTC 2018

Hello,

On 05/09/2018 07:03 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> I have never seen yours or Olivers name recently fixing i386 and autopkg test
> failures.  Should be easily to do for you, it's free, and there's no work involved.

I would agree with this point; although I rarely have had to fix
i386-only issues, they come up now and then. With our Proposed
Migration[1] infrastructure, it is extra work to maintain *any*
additional architecture.

"Free from Debian" isn't necessarily an excuse either. Often times,
issues that we need to fix are Ubuntu-specific. With the Debian Release
Team starting to embrace autopkgtesting for testing migration, this
improves things, but not completely.

By that same logic, where's our RISC V port? What about SPARC64? The
answer I have consistently gotten (and agree with, for that matter) is
that it takes time, money, and infrastructure to maintain these ports.
Certainly, if there is good cause to remove a port from the archive
without causing many issues, saving developer time is preferred.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ProposedMigration

--
Simon Quigley
tsimonq2 at ubuntu.com