Proposal: Let's drop i386

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed May 9 21:54:30 UTC 2018

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 09.05.2018, 16:07 -0400 schrieb Bryan Quigley:
> Hello,
>
> Less and less non-amd64-compatible i386 hardware is available for
> consumers to buy today from anything but computer part recycling
> centers.

i386 is still very popular in the embedded and industrial world, so as
long as Ubuntu Core gets offered for i386 the archive needs to stay
around (for build deps, for building core itself) ... i also heard that
i386 for cloud images is still very popular ...

there are close to zero costs to just keep the port around.

while i agree that installer images for it should go away since they
actually generate noticeable extra work in testing and QA, just having
i386 packages in the archive is something we get for free from debian
after all and the few build issues that might exist specifically on/due
to i386 during a 6 month release cycle are really neglectable IMHO.

ciao
	oli