Ubuntu and its derivatives (Lubuntu, Xubuntu etc.) should really consider adding cross-distribution installation/upgrade feature in Ubiquity

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 08:56:25 UTC 2018

On 2 February 2018 at 16:08, Βασίλης Κατσαρέλιας <vkatsarelias at gmail.com>
wrote:

> A few months ago, I had Ubuntu 12.04 (knowing it had reached its EOL) on
> my PC. I wanted to upgrade to Kubuntu 14.04, but the installer only let me
> delete it or format the entire disk.
>

> The same happened when I first installed Xubuntu 16.04 last year.
>

> Also, Lubuntu had the same issue.
>

> That was awful, I had to copy my `/home` folder over to a USB stick and
> then copy it back to my PC.
>

> I'm sure many people want this feature and Ubiquity is *still* lacking
> it. And we are in 17.10, something should have been done about it!
>

> Anyway, I just want Ubiquity to feature a cross-distribution
> upgrade/transfer feature. (e.g. upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to Lubuntu 16.04,
> upgrade from Kubuntu 16.04 to Xubuntu 17.10)

If you select "Something Else" when the installer asks what you want to do
and then tell it to use the existing root partition as "/" and *not* to
format it then it will replace the existing Ubuntu install with the new one
but leave /home as it is so you will not lose your user data.  Of course
you will have backed up everything before hand anyway just in case
something goes wrong.

Colin