systemd and openvpn

Göran Hasse gorhas at raditex.nu
Sun Sep 17 22:32:26 UTC 2017

Den 2017-09-18 kl. 00:15, skrev Robie Basak:
> Hi Göran,
>
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 06:50:27AM +0200, Göran Hasse wrote:
>> PLEASE se to that the default configuration of openvpn is so that it will
>> restart after an exit.
>
> Do you know why the upstream OpenVPN project don't set this as default
> already? That'd be the first question to answer I think, before
> considering whether Ubuntu should diverge from their defaults.

They must have "forgot it".

An openvpn client service have the same importance as the login program.
So it should be restarted (with some backoff strategy maybe).

A system service of this importance should *always* be restarted after
a krash! We had to send out service personell to all our client machines
(about 20) just because of this. Costly!

/gh

--
Göran Hasse
Raditex Control AB