MATE DE saga answer: NO DESKTOP, PAY FOR UNITY

Jesse Steele jesse at jessesteele.com
Mon Oct 23 10:00:21 UTC 2017

GET OUT OF DESKTOP. Stop dividing developer attention.

Part of the reason in dropping 32bit was for devs to have less laundry
gobbling their man hours. Now, drop desktop. My vote would be: "Budgie +
Optional GNOME Window Spread replaces Plank". BUT, that's just me.
Conspiracy Man wants MATE DE, let him have it also.

"Ubuntu" proper should ONLY be "server". Don't pick winners. For
desktop, offer a buffet on ubuntu.com to choose from, list the number of
downloads per distro, more DLs moves a distro toward the top of the
list, let the people speak and the bad devs weep.

Dear Mark Shuttleworth, your awesomeness is in "servers", which I use.
IMHO, get Ubuntu COMPLETELY OUT of desktop, let GNOME be GNOME and fail
if it needs to, focus on servers only, and then your power to boss will
snowball. If you need to blow off steam because you're human, make
concept videos like your awesome "Ubuntu for Tablets" video. Start
vlogging, dude. Put your "fix eternally doomed GNOME" budget into the
weekly "Minute with Mark" vlogcast. We need your vision, but your power
only seems to be on the command line. Linus' blistering words in 2011
also had an effect on GNOME 3.0. Learn from Linus.

Frankly, Mark, you're vision is so awesome, people should pay money to
have your desktop. It failed because you served caviar in a free soup
kitchen. If you really, really want desktop, go back to Unity 7.5, kill
those "can't catch me" notifications, auto-hide those hideous icons on
the left, and charge $10/year for users to install it via ubuntu.com.
I'd pay. A lot of people would.