Ubuntu 17.10 corrupting BIOS - many LENOVO laptops models - Bug #1734147

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Nov 29 05:15:54 UTC 2017

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 20:35:17 +0100, Xen wrote:
>Ralf Mardorf schreef op 28-11-2017 19:22:
>
>> There are far more known issues, Google is your friend. I doubt that
>> you will find a lot, if any known issues caused by Linux
>> distribution, but there are a vast number of known issues, that are
>> not caused by Linux distros.
>
>Doesn't help the person now does it.
>
>What you say means "Suck it up."

Hi,

no, if you read the complete mail, you should notice that it does say
three things.

1. Before I bought my new mobo, I ensured that it doesn't force me to
use U/EFI/secure boot, to avoid all the known issues. Perhaps the OP's
laptop allows this, too, so getting rid of an operating system enforcing
its usage, repairing the laptop and then reinstalling Ubuntu or any
other Linux distro without U/EFI/secure boot might be a solution.

2. Complete the Ubuntu bug report. Google might help you. Since the bug
report is flagged as being incomplete, the OP much likely already got
an email with hints, what is missing to complete it.

3. Google also might help to report the bug to those responsible for
it. Maybe Ubuntu isn't the culprit.

Regards,
Ralf