What is the best way to package going forward (deb or snap?)

Joseph Smidt josephsmidt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 13:40:56 UTC 2017

     I have been using Kali Linux for the past couple years and would like
to transition to Ubuntu and have noticed many of the security packages I
use are not in any of the repos.  I would like to put in some elbow grease
to make this happen but I want some advice on the best way forward:

1. Make a deb in Debian:  I realize the traditional way to get a package
into Ubuntu is to make a .deb package, get it into Debian, and then let it
naturally migrate over.  And I am not against this but it would require me
to track the package across a few different distributions, one of which I
don't use.  And to make matters worse, half the security packages in Kali
not in Debian are free software that just doesn't meet Debian's strict
guidelines and thus can't ever go this route.

2.  Make deb in PPA: I realize one can always make a PPA, but I feel that
this approach doesn't really help the community at large.  Take the Kali
packages example.  Many are in about 5 different PPAs of varying quality
and gives the end user no idea which is best to use.

3. Make a snap:  What I like about snap is that A.) I think it could be the
future way to package for many packages and B.) it could work across many
linux distributions allowing me to focus my efforts on the package I care
about, not several upstream and downstream distributions I may not care
about and C.) in principle I believe many more people benefit than just
Ubuntu.  The major downside is I would have to have the rights to package
the software which I don't have as of today but would be happy to attempt
to get written upstream permission if it means the packages I care about
can be a part of official Ubuntu channels.

Anyway, sorry for the long email, but let me know what is the best way to
get some of these free security packages into official Ubuntu repos.