Old Qbittorrent Version on APT

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jul 6 06:43:12 UTC 2017

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 01:42:42 -0400, Harley Lorenzo wrote:
>The qbittorrent version on apt is out of date and needs updating. The
>version on apt is 3.3.1 and the current version is 3.3.13. I can say
>that version is very stable based on my own testing and that an
>upgrade should be pushed onto apt. Also, keep an eye on qbittorrent
>updates as they are frequent (about once a month, give or take) and
>they should not be a security risk or at risk for regressing. This is
>a very commonly used bittorrenting program, my favourite, and users of
>both Ubuntu and the Ubuntu derivatives would be sad to see it be
>continually abandoned as more and more updates are issued.

Hi,

you seem not to understand that Ubuntu is a release model distro and
not a rolling release distro. Both approaches have got pros and cons.
Apart from that, you seem not to understand that software you install
via apt could depend on other software or could be a dependency for
other software. Apart from the risks that could be introduced by
updates that might be possible, the release model approach also should
provide a non-varying work-flow. 3.3.1 is the version that comes with
an LTS release, xenial. Employees using software should not be confused
by a new GUI or new features, they should be able to do their work
without bthe need to visit a training event to learn how to use an
upgraded version of software. In short, you not only chose the wrong
distro related to your needs, you also chose the wrong release of that
distro. If you make a release upgrade to zesty you get 3.3.7.

If you would migrate to the user-centric release model distro Arch
Linux, you would get

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Q qbittorrent
qbittorrent 3.3.13-
--
Vote for apulse!
echo $(w3m https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/apulse |grep 'Votes:    ')

However, different approaches come with their individual pros and cons,
so different ditros or even different releases of a distro, have
different target groups.

Regards,
Ralf