On Lists and Iterables

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sun Dec 17 10:02:48 UTC 2017

Jonathon Fernyhough schreef op 16-12-2017 16:29:

> I've only been vaguely following this thread as it doesn't appear to be
> related to Ubuntu Development, but it seems to me you're annoyed that
> you started learning Python2 before finding out that it is being
> replaced by Python3.

No, I don't like Python3.

I am happy that I have the chance to still 'learn' Python2 (as if it has
anything to do with learning; you can do that 20 years into the future
also).

I have zero investment in Python2.

Well, it would take me exactly 30 minutes to convert everything I have
written to Python3, probably.

And that would only be the "learning" part of what to change it into...

I just do not want to have to program in that language.

I am more likely to start learning Ruby than to have to use Python 3.

> This isn't an Ubuntu problem - you started learning the wrong language
> version in the first place

I never opened the topic of language internals; mr. Watson did.

My topic was that Ubuntu obviously never opposed any of the changes, and
most replying here pretty much evidence that they are in favour of them.

Now, they claim that they can do nothing against upstream and that they
have to follow the developments, that they are defending at every moment
themselves!!!!

It's playing the victim while you are playing a leading role in making
it happen.

No one here has evidenced being opposed to the abandonment of python2.

No one here has evidenced being opposed to the forced nature of its
discontinuation, except for mr. Watson in saying that he would have
preferred a 'legacy' mode for the interpreter.

Therefore, while you are all stout defenders of upstream policy, don't
then go play the victim saying you can do nothing about it and you "have
to".

Screw that, you are just lying to yourselves and to everyone.

I said that more forcefully in my mind ;-).

> If you have an issue with the _language syntax_ then you're definitely
> on the wrong list.

Again, my topic was Ubuntu's stance.