Python2 demotion (moving from main to universe) in progress

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sat Dec 9 10:38:02 UTC 2017

Robie Basak schreef op 08-12-2017 22:22:

> Because Python 2 will be unsupported upstream and we don't have an
> unlimited amount of resources to maintain it in Ubuntu without
> upstream.
> The more time we spend on maintaining duplicate stuff in the archive,
> the less time we have to spend on other things that users want to see.

There is no reason to repeat basics that you may assume everyone
understands.

What I mean is that such platitudes are unnecessary.

If you find someone in disagreement, please consider that you do not
understand that person's intentions, rather than ignorance on behalf of
that person?

The Ubuntu CoC states to assume good intentions on behalf of the other.

This includes not treating people as a child because you believe they
are too dumb to understand the basics.

Nobody here needs to hear business 101 repeated to them.

Not even me.

In that sense, if you want to say it like that.

*Certainly* not me, but you may disagree on that.

> Nobody is being forced to do anything.

This is dishonest. Upstream is forcing this thing, so it is obvious if
downstream users would also be forced, even if Ubuntu is also getting
forced along the road.

1) Upstream is doing the forcing
2) Apparently Ubuntu is getting forced
3) Users are getting forced as a result

I do not question whether Ubuntu has to go along with upstream or not.

I question whether Ubuntu has done anything against it.

I question whether Ubuntu has made any public statements in opposition
of this change?

Have you used your political and practical power to resist this change?

Have you been vocal or not?

Has Ubuntu made any statement or announcement, or taken any public or
official position in opposition to, or in condemnation of, the
abandonment or discontinuation of Python 2 by upstream?

This is my sole question to you.

Thank you, that's all.