Software installation on modern Ubuntu

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Aug 27 06:47:13 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2017-08-26 at 23:10 +0300, Коля Гурьев wrote:
> 26.08.2017 19:16, Nrbrtx пишет:
> > Let's assume that we need to install libgtk2.0-dev from gnome-software.
> > How to do it? Simple search of libgtk2.0-dev produces no results (note:
> > software-center finds and installs this package). Any other ideas?
> > gnome-software is a toy for installing nice games and GUI applications.
>
> And by the way, why are the search results different? These programs use
> different repositories?

Perhaps dconf provides an option to enable/disable inclusion of
development packages to search results :D.

Regarding https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-software/+bug/
1551273 it might be, that by design it only shows apps with a GUI :p.

I sardonically assume that it's a political decision to not show GTK2
related packages or even applications that provide a menu bar ;),
excepted of Evolution, much likely the only GNOME app that provides a
menu bar.