Software installation on modern Ubuntu

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Aug 26 23:00:26 UTC 2017

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 01:04:56 +0300, Nrbrtx wrote:
>I have never used auto-apt.

Neither have I. I installed it just in case it should be useful some
day.

>In Debian Stretch it works very stable. It is pre-installed as
>recommendation for Xfce, Cinnamon, MATE, LXQT, LXDE and other desktops

In my experiences synaptic isn't reliable anymore. Fortunately command
line for me has got a special advantage. When booted into Arch Linux I
could maintain my Ubuntu install or vice versa via systemd-nspawn.
While it obviously is possible to use GUIs, I usually even don't use
systemd-nspawns boot option. The most simple way, direct command line
access without booting and without thinking about GUIs, I could build
packages for e.g. claws-mail from git directly for Arch Linux and
Ubuntu.

[root at archlinux rocketmouse]# grep -i pretty /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Arch Linux"
[root at archlinux rocketmouse]# systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio
[root at moonstudio ~]# grep -i pretty /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS"
[root at moonstudio ~]# logout
[root at archlinux rocketmouse]# grep -i pretty /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Arch Linux"

After a while I became that used to command line, that I don't want to
use synaptic anymore. Most of the times I also don't use file
managers. I anyway only mount devices by command line. The only
serious disadvantage I experience is wearout of my keyboard. To get a
replacement for a mouse or keyboard that is a pleasure to use, is very
hard for me.