fixing Zesty to use Apple boot selector

Jack Howarth howarth.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 16:23:45 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Daniel Llewellyn <daniel at bowlhat.net> wrote:

> On 1 April 2017 at 01:10, Jack Howarth <howarth.mailing.lists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> sudo mkdir -p /boot/efi/System/Library/CoreServices
>> sudo install -m 644 /usr/share/mactel-boot/SystemVersion.plist
>> /boot/efi/System/Library/CoreServices
>> sudo install -m 644 /usr/share/mactel-boot-logo/ubuntu.icns
>> /boot/efi/.VolumeIcon.icns
>> sudo echo "This file is required for booting" > /boot/efi/mach_kernel
>> sudo install -m 700 /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi
>> /boot/efi/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
>

> What is the interaction of these files when dual-booting with macOS? i.e. is
> macOS still bootable? are macOS and Ubuntu listed in the boot selector as
> separate items or does Ubuntu become the only option? I really don't want to
> see a situation where Ubuntu behaves in a manner that it believes "it is the
> only true OS and damn anyone else who wants to be installed at the same
> time".
>
> --
> Daniel Llewellyn
> Bowl Hat

Daniel.
     I finally got to the grub boot selector with a single escape key
hit after selecting the Ubuntu volume from the Mac EFI option boot
selector. It works normally for the single Linux installation on the
drive. I don' see any reason why it should behave any differently in a
dual boot situation. So invoking the grub boot selector from the
/boot/efi/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi location has no impact
on its functionality.
                               Jack