fixing Zesty to use Apple boot selector

Daniel Llewellyn daniel at bowlhat.net
Sat Apr 1 13:04:10 UTC 2017

On 1 April 2017 at 01:10, Jack Howarth <howarth.mailing.lists at gmail.com>
wrote:

> sudo mkdir -p /boot/efi/System/Library/CoreServices
> sudo install -m 644 /usr/share/mactel-boot/SystemVersion.plist
> /boot/efi/System/Library/CoreServices
> sudo install -m 644 /usr/share/mactel-boot-logo/ubuntu.icns
> /boot/efi/.VolumeIcon.icns
> sudo echo "This file is required for booting" > /boot/efi/mach_kernel
> sudo install -m 700 /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi
> /boot/efi/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

What is the interaction of these files when dual-booting with macOS? i.e.
is macOS still bootable? are macOS and Ubuntu listed in the boot selector
as separate items or does Ubuntu become the only option? I really don't
want to see a situation where Ubuntu behaves in a manner that it believes
"it is the only true OS and damn anyone else who wants to be installed at
the same time".

--
Daniel Llewellyn
Bowl Hat