My opinion on Ubuntu cancelling Intel 80386/80386-clone processor support

Thierry Andriamirado thierry.andriamirado at free.fr
Sun Sep 11 12:37:36 UTC 2016

Le 10 septembre 2016 13:38:17 UTC+03:00, Oliver Grawert

>when i was still LTSP and edubuntu upstream i worked very closely with
>[1], they actually know what they are doing and make sure to only ship
>usable bits ... they ship it to places where people live that would
>never be able to achieve a computer at all ... to places where there is
>partially not even power and where internet access means that once a
>week a guy with a moped comes by with a usb stick that proxies your
>mails and websites you want to read. following your logic would mean

That is the use case I'm talking about. Thank you.

>recycling is a matter of "done right", just saying "the whole approach
>is wrong" is very short sighted...

I actually understand what you are both saying.
Fact is that many ONGs (and private initiatives) make donations. Some are recycled hardware, some are new ones. I for myself can't tell how many very old hardware are donated per year. I just know they continue to be distributed for sure.
And as they can't continue to use modern windows, nor XP, this is a "very good" opportunity to install Ubuntu or Debian on them.

When I was IT Director in the Deputy Prime Ministry here in Madagascar 10 years ago, we have created an opened access room filled with the ministry's old computers. All running Linux. It was an opportunity not only to show that Linux was "usable", but also to benefit from the old hardware, in a department (800 employees) that sorely needed computers.

We must do with our resources. But we can do that ONLY if Linux distribs continue to work on what we own.

Actually I'm not sure that these old computers will disappear by 2021. If so, I hope we'll still be able to compile Debian's i386.

Regards,
Thierry