My opinion on Ubuntu cancelling Intel 80386/80386-clone processor support

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 10 10:38:17 UTC 2016

hi,
Am Samstag, den 10.09.2016, 12:05 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:

> As already pointed out, recycling or refurbishing for the poor
> already
> is the wrong approach, only using computers for a longer period of
> time
> and repairing components of computers, instead of replacing them
> completely solves environmental and social problems. The poot should
> use the same computers as the rich. Recycling does not mean that it
> doesn't cause e-waste and waste by idiotic traffic there and back to
> foreign country's slums and that workers aren't exploited. Just rare
> earth elements are recycled and much e-waste remains. The complete
> approach is wrong.

so you think it is better to not recyle and re-use the materials that
were retrieved at the cost of the workers health but instead use them
longer and buy then new stuff that was again retrieved at the cost of
worker lives ? that's a strange statement.

if they want computers in a country that does not produce them itself
there will be transport costs and the related pollution in either case.
the trick here is to sort out the crap *before* you cause transport
costs and pollution, to actually get usable stuff to the people ...

when i was still LTSP and edubuntu upstream i worked very closely with
[1], they actually know what they are doing and make sure to only ship
usable bits ... they ship it to places where people live that would
never be able to achieve a computer at all ... to places where there is
partially not even power and where internet access means that once a
week a guy with a moped comes by with a usb stick that proxies your
mails and websites you want to read. following your logic would mean
that all these people would never get access to wider information and
education...

if you look at the US there are people that can hardly afford a living.
yet [2] will enable the kids of such families to
a) actually learn how a computer works and
b) build their own one in courses to take home with them ...
again these are people that wouldn't have had access to a computer at
all ...

recycling is a matter of "done right", just saying "the whole approach
is wrong" is very short sighted...

ciao
	oli

[1] http://www.linux4afrika.de