OT Thierry: wifi for developing countries (was Re: My opinion)

JMZ florentior at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 23:32:15 UTC 2016

Off topic question for Thierry:

Is there 3G or better in Madagascar cities?  Would it be possible to set
up 3G towers in the rural areas, which would connect to wifi hot spots
in the center of villages?  PCI wireless cards are cheap.  This would be
a way around wiring rural areas with cable or DSL.  The throughput isn't
going to be great, but at least the repository servers _might_ be
accessible.  This could be a great project for a developed world charity.

I remember a segment on BBC World Service about portable wifi hot spots
for central Africa.  The inventors were able to get a few km radius with
the devices.

Jordan