My opinion on Ubuntu cancelling Intel 80386/80386-clone processor support

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 7 09:11:50 UTC 2016

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 07.09.2016, 02:43 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 17:08:30 -0700, Ryan Cunningham wrote:
> >
> > I have heard recently that Ubuntu has plans to cancel support for
> > processors in the Intel 80386 family (and clones of the same).
> Hi,
>
> I'm not a developer. However, already 3 years ago i386 support was
> removed from Linux 3.8. I guess you are confusing i386 with 32 bit in
> general. It's confusing that Ubuntu 32 bit packages are named i386,
> while actually they are not i386. I don't know, I guess they are
> i586.
> But yes, dropping 32 bit support completely seems to happen
> relatively
> soon.

thats unlikely ;)

32bit installer/image support (and the related iso testing that hogs a
lot of time) might be dropped at some point soon, thats true. but the
archive will still persist for quite some time, there is to much
nonfree software that neeeds 32bit multiarch support (32bit is also
immensely important in embedded and IoT where you are memory
constrained), so the packages in the archive will still be built. as
long as this is the case you can always use a 16.04 installer and then
upgrade to the latest release.

ciao
	oli