My opinion on Ubuntu cancelling Intel 80386/80386-clone processor support

JMZ florentior at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 02:15:40 UTC 2016

On 09/06/2016 09:58 PM, John Moser wrote:

<snip>
> Is this even worth the resources?  There are multiple issues here, most
> obvious being the distinction between a current-generation operating
> system (Ubuntu) and a special-purpose software project (to target
> legacy hardware).  Is legacy 32-bit support part of Ubuntu's mission,
> or are resources best diverted to improving the system for the other
> 99.99% of use cases?  Like it or not, i586 is probably less than one in
> ten thousand installations.
<snip>

Wow, thanks John.  Your intensive explanation of e-waste and its impact
on the environment and human labor is very enlightening.  Now I'll think
twice about recommending Pentium 4's as good candidates for
low-intensity computing.  Better to leave them at the dump.

I don't spend more than $200 on a laptop or desktop. Two/three-year-old
off lease 64-bit machines are everywhere.  Still, the <$200 price band
may be expensive for startup schools, low-income people, etc.  Perhaps
donation money should be given for the purchase of used dual cores or
better.  A mass market non-upgradeable $50 64-bit slim client would be
helpful even in developed countries, but I see no profit there.

Jordan