My opinion on Ubuntu cancelling Intel 80386/80386-clone processor support

JMZ florentior at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 01:33:46 UTC 2016

Hi Ryan,

When you say "Ubuntu 16.10" I wonder if you mean that you are running
gnome with the unity shell or just the command line only. Running any of
the graphical enviroments (save maybe lxde) on a 80586 would be pretty
exceptional.

I agree somewhat that 80586 single core processor support could be
relegated to the community.  However, community maintenance can be
spotty, with updates coming down the pike irregularly.  It'd be better
if Canonical can hold on and at officially support 32-bit systems with
Lubuntu (which could be designated "the only 32-bit flavor").

Pentium 4/4 HT systems (which are still 80586 chipset basically) can be
got even at community trash dumps.  If you're starting a school, setting
up donated Pentium 4's and old dual-cores with Lubuntu or another lxde
distro might be your best bet.  This is especially true if all you're
running is Firefox and LibreOffice, or similar.

Jordan

On 09/06/2016 08:08 PM, Ryan Cunningham wrote:
> [The following message is a re-post from an aborted message thread originally sent to <ubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>.]
>
> Attn. Ubuntu Developers:
>
> I have heard recently that Ubuntu has plans to cancel support for processors in the Intel 80386 family (and clones of the same). This is impacting me because I have a 32-bit Ubuntu machine (powered by an Intel 80586) which runs Ubuntu 16.10.
<snip>