youtube-dl package is very outdated

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sat Sep 3 17:57:47 UTC 2016

Jason Benjamin schreef op 03-09-2016 18:52:
> There is also a frontend with youtube-dl builtin called youtube-dlg
> installable with a ppa:
> http://www.webupd8.org/2014/03/multi-platform-youtube-dl-gui-youtube.html
> (blog)
>
> On 09/03/2016 09:31 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:

>> If you want/need a newer version of youtube-dl, you could:

>> All on your own risk, of course.
>>
>> Petter

I just really think the person wanted to suggest that something like
that needed to be fixed centrally instead of every individual user
having to repeat those steps for him or herself.

The person was probably already aware of being able to download the
thing manually (as I have).

The same goes for ffmpeg, the distribution supplied version has bugs
(that are solved in the mainstream upstream version).

Most people reporting bugs are just not really looking for a solution
for themselves, but for everyone.

They are not trying to get help, but to give help, but are often
misinterpreted in their call.

Regards.