youtube-dl package is very outdated

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Sat Sep 3 16:31:29 UTC 2016

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 19:38:21 +0000
Oliver Kamer <oliver at kamer.ch> wrote:

> Good evening
>

> I would just like to let you know that the youtube-dl package is
> horribly outdated. The latest version according to their website is
> v2016.08.28, while the version you maintain is only v2016.02.22-1. It
> is very important for that package to be updated often, as it always
> tries to adapt to the new challges it faces when downloading videos.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/151283/why-dont-the-ubuntu-repositories-have-the-latest-versions-of-software#151304

If you want/need a newer version of youtube-dl, you could:

1) Download the script manually from their website.
2) Install it with pip.
3) See if Debian unstable or experimental has a newer version and try
    that.

All on your own risk, of course.

Petter

--
"Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done." --Anne Onymous