Adding a kernel removal script to linux-base or elsewhere

Jarno Suni j_suni at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 15 13:25:41 UTC 2016

> On Friday, October 14, 2016 1:18 AM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunnarhj at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> There is a script in the archive to help remove old kernels. If I had
> several old kernels installed, I could easily install the byobu package
> and run the purge-old-kernels command.

Well, byobu package does not have the script in Trusty; bikeshed has, but even that not in Precise IIRC.
Anyway, you could use a PPA.

> Now you tell us that you have written a new script to serve the same
> purpose but with some improvements.

Partially, yes. My script can purge new kernels, too :P purge-old-kernels is a pretty simple script with some bugs and limitations. E.g.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/byobu/+bug/1569228
though there has been some attempt to fix things in git.

> However, you won't show anybody the
> script unless you get paid enough money in advance. Did I get it right?
> If I did, it's a very odd 'offer' to an open source community.

No. I'll possibly get paid by Bountysource only after I have published the code and it has been accepted by backers as a solution to the issue. To be more specific, refer to
https://github.com/bountysource/core/wiki/Frequently-Asked-Questions
I wish the information on the page was correct, but according to rappo on the IRC channel:
Oct 11 22:55:22 <rappo>        actually, that needs to be updated.. time-limited fundraisers have been removed in favor of monthly recurring, salt.bountysource.com