Future and impact of ongoing projects in Linux world

amon amon at vnl.com
Fri Oct 14 16:11:03 UTC 2016

I am not going to continue with this other than to correct
some really strange assumptions.

First, I was probably using Unix when the person who claims
I must be amongst those who do not basics was still in nappies.

Second, none of those suggestions will find you anything if gvfs
has not even been installed. apropos only searched man pages
that are installed, the last I heard :-^

No key words that were obvious to this old Unix hacker on the
web mentioned gvfs. Unless you already know it exists, such as
the particular person who is not recognizing the difference
between what is obvious only if you know it, and has absolutely
no links if you don't already have the right key words.

When I suggest adding it to mount and fstab, I am thinking more
of references, See Also. The Mount man page, for those who have
read it, contains a section for commands relevant to each and
every supported file system type. But not gvfs. Many of them
are of course kernel modules, but regardless, mount man page
is the very first place you go when you are looking for a problem
with a mount. That location should at the very least reference
you to other information.

If you don't believe that, I suggest you go talk to a good
technical writer or a librarian. Or an old Unix hand.

It really is not a good idea to say things about people who
might possibly know more than you do about Unix systems in
general. I am an industry guy. I don't show up often. I get
paid a lot for making systems jump through hoops. Sometimes
when I find something odd, I feel it my duty to inform someone
who may or may not do anything about it, but having taken
a few of those expensive minutes of my day to so inform, I
feel I have discharged my duty.

Done.

|   Dale Amon                  Immortal Data                    |
|   CEO             Midland International Air and Space Port    |
| amon at vnl.com       "Data Systems for Deep Space and Time"     |