Future and impact of ongoing projects in Linux world

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Oct 11 19:16:27 UTC 2016

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 20:27:18 +0200, Xen wrote:
>Tom H schreef op 11-10-2016 16:52:
>> From skimming of this thread, it seems to me that you might be trying
>> to work against the system in order to achieve your goal rather than
>> use the tools that are provided, like people who run "chattr -i
>> /etc/resolv.conf".
>
>Never even knew about that tool and those flags ;-).

You did read about the immutable bit on Sun, 9 Oct 2016 15:05:59 +0200:

"Regarding your argument that by accident somebody could wipe out a
Linux install, there are several security mechanisms to prevent users to
delete important things. One is that users cannot use sudo to get root
privileges, but even a superuser has levels of protection, for example
to mount read only, to set the immutable bit, not to use rm -r, but
instead rm -I files* and rmdir or e.g. unlink instead of rm to remove a
link. You describe Windows user typical behaviour without
self-responsibility."

You replied to it on Sun, 09 Oct 2016 18:32:55 +0200:

"These are all practically unused options."

If a user is not willing to use the provided tools, than the better OS
for such a user is a restricted OS. Using Linux requires some amount of
self-responsibility and a minimum of interest in learning how to use
it. For using Linux there's no need to become a geek, but Linux is not a
replacement for a restricted OS, for completely clueless users, without
any interest in leraning how to use it. We needed to learn how to use
forks and knives and for a much more complex tool, the computer, some
people are not willing to spend at least the same amount of time and
effort as they spend in learning how to use forks and knives.

No restricted OS provides that amount of choice as Linux does. To make
it easy for clueless users, some distros, e.g. Ubuntu, provide some
defaults.

I can't remember that I ever read such complaints as your, on the Ubuntu
user list, https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/ .
I also do not understand, why a user who is satisfied with Windows,
should use Linux and vice versa.

Regards,
Ralf