Future and impact of ongoing projects in Linux world

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Oct 5 12:11:13 UTC 2016

On 05 Oct 2016, at 12:09, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
> [snip] Main problems in Linux have not been solved and now big solutions are built on top of it, and the consequence is that those high level solutions must be as shabby as the low level underneath, but now a 1000 fold worse, because you cannot get around it anymore.
>
> [snip]  gvfs-udisks2-volume-monitor.service  [snip]

Hi,

what are your main problems? One of my main problems is, that some software from bloated desktop environments wakes up sleeping green drives, so I simply don't use software from developers, who don't care about damaging green drives. This means you won' t find gvfs on any of my installs, let alone that I anyway just use a window manager without a desktop environment and that even while there are tools available to mount devices by mouse click, without waking up and damaging green drives, I mount devices by command line.

On 05 Oct 2016, at 12:09, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf schreef op 05-10-2016 9:16:
>> On 05 Oct 2016, at 04:05, Xen "questioned" the way things are managed
>
> Can you explain exactly what you think you are responding to and what my sentiment would have been to you? I just feel you might be responding to something I have not said.
>
> My apologies if that is the case for not being very clear.

For example:

"Why is there not a user fstab in which the user can specify mounts he or  she wants to use?"
-  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2016-October/016968.html

Regards,
Ralf