Future and impact of ongoing projects in Linux world

JMZ florentior at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 05:50:11 UTC 2016

Is there really a huge learning curve for .bashrc and xinit? .bashrc is
mostly a way to make an alias list.

What I fear about snappy and other modularized systems is unnecessary
complexity. I fear that simple commands such as tar -t are going to be
replaced with a multiplicity of commands which may actually be more
confusing in the terminal.  This complexity will take from terminal
users and give to gui users.

I use linux because I _really don't_ want a Mac.  I'm a bit frightened
by Canonical's desire to force the terminal into obsolescence.  Then
again, if we linux users want desktop linux, it will have to be more gui
friendly.

Jordan

On 10/04/2016 10:05 PM, Xen wrote:
> Xen schreef op 05-10-2016 3:32:
   <snip>

> - there is no user init system, unless you run stuff through e.g.
> .bashrc or some xinit script or whatever. That is extremely arcane and
> impossible for a regular user to do.

<snip>