Future and impact of ongoing projects in Linux world

Himanshu Shekhar himanshushekharb16 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 14:33:22 UTC 2016

Today, I gave a try on Unity 8 with Mir server. I appreciate the effort
done by Canonical to bring Linux experience cross-platform. However, I have
a few concerns:

1. The idea of convergence is good, but Desktop is Desktop and Tablet is
Tablet. Desktop/Laptops have different input and communication interfaces,
a.k.a keyboard, mouse and touch. So, the convergence should be able to
retain the essence of Laptop.

2. I was also concerned about the progress and retentiveness of Canonical
on a specific technology. For example, Ubuntu emphasized on Upstart and
tried to standardize it. However, due to various reasons they accepted
"systemd" which they denied to use earlier. The same happened with the
software center. Things change, I agree with that. Still, the largest
problem facing Linux desktop world is the chaos of distros and changing
standards.

3. Flatpak vs Snaps. Both are about to turn great. However, I feel like all
major decision makers should come together to work on one standardized
desktop ecosystem, and rule out the chaos of different distributions. Both
are independent efforts to standardize the same. However, if both process
continue with full potential, the result lead to another debate : Flatpak
vs Snaps, the same way we discuss today : rpm vs deb.

I know that the team at Canonical are much more mature and experienced as
well as visionary than a kid like me. However, being an enthusiast, I had
some concerns/doubts which I wanted to share.

I may be wrong, or have misconceptions, or am not knowing what things are
actually like. I would like to have your views regarding the same.
Finally, it's FOSS. Everyone is free, and that's how great things have been
built.

Regards,
Himanshu Shekhar
--