Ubuntu Notepad

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Tue May 10 10:04:30 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 05:16:55PM -0500, Dale Amon wrote:
> So I am presuming those folks working on it are building everything
> with a cross compiler. So instead of the one day task I was hoping
> for, I've got to face the whole learning curve for setting up a
> cross compile environment for aarch64.

It's often possible to do most development and testing by building on a
local architecture, and switch to the target architecture when ready.
This is particularly easy for us because Ubuntu is the same (package
versions, configuration, etc) regardless of architecture.

Ubuntu's build infrastructure actually builds native for all
architectures rather than using cross compilers, but I suppose you don't
have an aarch64 server handy?

> Can you point me at a HOWTO used to orient the notepad developers
> to how to set up their cross-platform development environments?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ToolChain#Cross_development_toolchain has some
docs. Basically: "apt-get install gcc-5-aarch64-linux-gnu" and you
should have a working cross compiler. I'm not sure if any other packages
are required for a complete toolchain, but the idea is that everything
you need is already available as packages.

HTH,

Robie