Needed suggestions for creating a QT5 patched libraries package

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 14:26:29 UTC 2016

On Saturday 19 March 2016 08:59:34 Giovanni 'ItachiSan' Santini wrote:
> Il 18/03/2016 14:31, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer ha scritto:
> > On Friday 18 March 2016 11:50:45 Sandro Knauß wrote:
> >> Hey Giovanni,
> >>
> >> cool that you want to package telegram desktop.

> >> Well a patched QT5 is a big issue. Because in debian we don't want to
> >> ship
> >> to versions of QT5. So if it is comiling is not the interessing point.
> >> The
> >> main question is, why they need this patch and if the patch is going to
> >> be
> >> included upstream. If it is approved from qt to be entered into mainline
> >> it
> >> is possible to include the patch also to older versions of QT5 packages.
> >> And for me the patch looks quite big:
> >> https://github.com/telegramdesktop/tdesktop/blob/master/Telegram/
> >> _qtbase_5_5_1_patch.diff
> >
> > I have just looked over the patch. Those guys are doing it wrong: if you
> > need that functionality you should push it upstream, not patch it like
> > that.
> >
> > I'm afraid that as long as your upstream does that kind of weird things it
> > will not be possible to have their app in Debian.
>
> I am well aware of that... In fact, I'll try to work on this in a
> personal PPA on Launchpad.
> I'll also try to open an issue in the official bugtracker.
> I hope they will change their approach and this gets in Debian
> officially in the future...!
>
> So, from your suggestions, I just have to make this installation work
> alongside the official one?
> So, just installing in "different-from-usual" folders (to avoid
> conflicts) and tweak the packages dependencies?

You will need more than that. It would require changing SONAME (I think there
is a configure option for adding something like that) and packages names
and...

Just thinking of it makes me want to desist :)

Another idea: compile Qt inside the package and link it statically. It's still
quite a lot of awful work...

I'm sorry, but you are really on your own (at least from my side). And be
careful with what you do, you might end up screwing user's installations.

Kinds regards, Lisandro.

--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you
and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/