Needed suggestions for creating a QT5 patched libraries package

Sandro Knauß bugs at sandroknauss.de
Fri Mar 18 10:50:45 UTC 2016

Hey Giovanni,

cool that you want to package telegram desktop.

> However, Telegram Desktop requires a patched version of QT5; this is not
> a major issue, I've already created such a package, based on the latest
> Debian/Ubuntu sources and build nicely.

Well a patched QT5 is a big issue. Because in debian we don't want to ship to
versions of QT5. So if it is comiling is not the interessing point. The main
question is, why they need this patch and if the patch is going to be included
upstream. If it is approved from qt to be entered into mainline it is possible
to include the patch also to older versions of QT5 packages.
And for me the patch looks quite big:
https://github.com/telegramdesktop/tdesktop/blob/master/Telegram/
_qtbase_5_5_1_patch.diff

> I get some problems in the "dh_makeshlibs" step as I'd need to manually
> edit the .symbols to point out to the tweaked packages. Additionally,
> the system libraries (such as libQt5Core) are in conflict.

jepp dh_makeshlibs complains about changed symbols, that means you have to
update the symbols file:
http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/symbolfiles.html

This shows additionally that the patch is not harmless. As temporary solution,
you need to rename all libs/binarys or install them on another location, so it
is coinstallable. Just to make it sure, this is NOT a way to get it into
Debian.

> - warn users about conflicts
well this breaks all other application that are using QT so whole KDE desktop
may be unusable if you install Telegram Desktop - sounds really great :D

> - use this package only during the build step and fallback to orginal
> libraries (dragons ahead!)

I think they don't patch QT just for fun - so the new/changes symbols are
needed in Telegram application. So if you just use the system qt libs Telegram
will crash.

If you have any questions, please to hesitate to ask.

Regards,

sandro

PS: if you are taksing about aptches add always either the patch or the url of
the patch, so others don't have to search for them.