[Request] FGLRX driver package

Timo Aaltonen tjaalton at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 10 12:41:31 UTC 2016

09.03.2016, 20:11, Steffen Winkler kirjoitti:
> Hi,
>
> after an update yesterday evening, I was greeted by a mirrored desktop
> today and the fact that I couldn't find the AMD configuration utility.
>
> After some searching and digging, I found that someone decided to
> remove fglrx from Ubuntu 16.04 and it was even published on the
> ReleaseNotes site: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseNotes#fgl
> rx [I'm pretty sure that that wasn't there two weeks ago when I
> switched to Ubuntu 16.04 Beta]
>
> I'm not sure what the reason for that is, but I'd hope someone could
> reverse that decision.
>
> Why reverse it? Without FGLRX/Catalyst AMD users don't have any way of
> running OpenGL 4.3/4.4/4.5 applications. You may say 'so install the
> package from AMD's website' to which I'd reply that I tried that but
> DKMS decided that that is a really bad idea and denied me that request.

Can't be done, sorry. AMD won't support fglrx on 16.04*, period. There
will be a userspace blob released later this year that should cover the
missing bits and it will be added to 16.04, but it's been well known for
quite a while already that they were moving towards a shared core stack
(amdgpu kernel driver), and we had to make a decision for 16.04.

And installing the package from AMD doesn't help, as it doesn't support
the xserver 1.18 video ABI, which got in xenial earlier this week and is
what removed the incompatible driver from your system.

*
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/latest-phoronix-articles/857070-ubuntu-is-deprecating-fglrx-catalyst-in-16-04-lts?p=857203#post857203