[Request] FGLRX driver package

Steffen Winkler steffen-winkler at gmx.de
Wed Mar 9 18:11:21 UTC 2016

Hi,

after an update yesterday evening, I was greeted by a mirrored desktop
today and the fact that I couldn't find the AMD configuration utility.

After some searching and digging, I found that someone decided to
remove fglrx from Ubuntu 16.04 and it was even published on the
ReleaseNotes site: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseNotes#fgl
rx [I'm pretty sure that that wasn't there two weeks ago when I
switched to Ubuntu 16.04 Beta]

I'm not sure what the reason for that is, but I'd hope someone could
reverse that decision.

Why reverse it? Without FGLRX/Catalyst AMD users don't have any way of
running OpenGL 4.3/4.4/4.5 applications. You may say 'so install the
package from AMD's website' to which I'd reply that I tried that but
DKMS decided that that is a really bad idea and denied me that request.

With kind regards
Steffen Winkler