Installation Media and supportability of i386 in 18.04 LTS Re: Ubuntu Desktop on i386

Dimitri John Ledkov xnox at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 28 13:54:13 UTC 2016

Hello Bryan,

Let me resurrect this thread. In the context of what we should be
doing in 18.04 and what to do between now and then.

In 2018:
- it will be over 2 years since 3rd party ISVs stopped supporting
software on i386, or even never had it officially
- e.g. Google Chrome, ZFS, Docker, etc
- with both desktop and server software developed, tested and deployed
on amd64 only

And in 2018, the question will come if we can effectively provide
security support on i386.

Between now and 2018, it would be logical to limit amount of new
installations of i386, because cross-grading between i386->amd64 is
not something we can reliably ship.
We must continue provide the i386 port, to support multiarch and 3rd
party legacy application that are only available as i386 binaries.

Building i386 images is not "for free", it comes at the cost of
utilizing our build farm, QA and validation time. Whilst we have
scalable build-farms, i386 still requires all packages, autopackage
tests, and ISOs to be revalidated across our infrastructure. As well
as take up mirror space & bandwidth.

Thus the question is what can we and what should we do to limit i386
installations before they become unsupportable?

Here is an example draft plan to bikeshed over:

16.10, 17.04, 17.10:
* continue to provide i386 port to run legacy applications on amd64
* continue to build i386 d-i / netboot installer
* continue to build i386 kernel
* continue to build i386 cloud-images
* stop producing i386 ubuntu-desktop.iso
* stop producing i386 ubuntu-server.iso

18.04 LTS:
* continue to provide i386 port to run legacy applications on amd64
* stop producing i386 d-i / netboot installer
* stop producing i386 kernel
* stop producing i386 cloud-images
* stop producing i386 ubuntu-desktop.iso
* stop producing i386 ubuntu-server.iso

18.10+:
* Stop providing i386 port
* Run legacy i386 only application in snaps / containers / virtual machines

Or some other variation of above things and/or adjusted timelines.
What do you think is appropriate? Can we survey and/or somehow
validate if above would be appropriate or needs to be extended or can
be shortened?

The key point here is lack of upstream software support and upstream
security support on i386, rather than actual hardware being out of
stock and/or old.

In essence this would mean April 2021 as the sunset for i386 as the
host/base OS architecture. And April 2023 to run legacy i386
applications with security support.

Regards,

Dimitri.

Regards,