snapd contribution license

thgntlmnfrmtrlfmdr thgntlmnfrmtrlfmdr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 04:56:11 UTC 2016

> The ability to license
> something as non-open in the future doesn't change the fact that what
> is
> currently released is open.
Right, but it does make it not copyleft. So is that really what it's
doing or am I reading it wrong? Not that permissive is bad, I just want
to know. Because it seems like they are making everyone's contributions
essentially permissive open source. So if you wanted to contribute
copyleft code to snapd, you couldn't. Also, I still don't know if only
Canonical has that right to relicense contributions.
> Please don't let yourself get pulled into FUD about the CLA. To date
> Canonical has only ever open sourced projects that had started out
> closed, never the opposite.
I understand that and personally I have a good opinion of Canonical. I
just don't see why they would want to license things this way if they
truly only had good intentions. It honestly seems like they just copy-
pasted a "template" of a license and didn't notice what they accidently
put in. The thing is I don't see why Canonical would need or want the
right to relicense things as proprietary.

mhall119 at ubuntu.com