GRsecurity is preventing others from employing their rights under version 2 the GPL to redistribute source code.

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Wed Jun 1 08:30:08 UTC 2016

concernedfossdev at teknik.io schreef op 31-05-2016 5:19:

> GRsecurity is preventing others from employing their rights under
> version 2 the GPL to redistribute
> (by threatening them with a non-renewal of a contract to recive this
> patch to the linux kernel.)
> (GRsecurity is a derivative work of the linux kernel (it is a patch)).

Apparently they can choose whom to distribute to in the first place; GPL
does not require that you distribute to anyone, only that you must make
corresponding source available when you do.

So even though you may have the source (and binaries, I guess) and you
have the rights under copyright to distribute it further, /as per the
copyright license/ that only applies to something that has already been
distributed to you. It says nothing about the requirement for the
original distributor (in this case grsecurity) to keep distributing to
you after.

I would say the GPL is not really completely in line with personal and
real interests, so it might not be weird to consider that commercial
vendors would have an issue with it.

Still this person is not violating GPL. He may be petty but many
developers are (and I am too). Regardless, it seems this is his "next
best" solution to place an effective copyright restriction without using
copyright for it.

You cannot have rights to source code you never obtained, after all.
People will do this thing as long as proprietariness is illegal, and you
can't change humans either to put a stop to that.