Outdated arduino package?

Starbeamrainbowlabs sbrl at starbeamrainbowlabs.com
Sat Jul 23 15:02:25 UTC 2016

Hello,

I'm emailing to ask about the official arduino package in the Ubuntu
repositories. It's currently at version 1.0.5, yet the latest version on the
arduino website is version 1.6.9. It looks like this package hasn't been updated
since ~May 2013.

I looked at setting up my own ppa on launchpad and repackaging the arduino IDE
myself, but instructions I found were so horrendously complicated and mentioned
so many things that I hadn't heard of (and I'm fairly confident in a terminal)
I've given up :(

Is it possible to have the arduino package in the official Ubuntu ppa for xenial
updated please? If not, I'm open to having another go at packaging it myself,
but I currently can't find any tutorials out there that explain the process
adequately.

Many thanks,
Starbeamrainbowlabs (keybase.io/sbrl)##SELECTION_END##