Installation Media and supportability of i386 in 18.04 LTS Re: Ubuntu Desktop on i386

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Fri Jul 1 11:01:33 UTC 2016

On 29/06/2016 15:37, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Folks, I think we need to understand whether i386 won't be widely used
> for very small IoT devices and hence be important for developers
> targeting those. I accept i386 i no longer relevant for PC's and
> laptops, but I would not be surprised if 32-bit x86 is used in small
> 'embedded' environments.
As an embedded developer I can comment on this...
I use Ubuntu  as my main platform on embedded system.  There are still
many viable 32-bit platforms that are being manufactured. This is mainly
because they are so cheap.  In my case I either:
- use Server edition
- use a lightweight desktop like LDE
- build a custom deskop with openbox with limited features
To me is is critical that at the very least Server Edition is supported.

Edubuntu projects should also be considered as well.  Many of these
projects collect old PCs and build infrastructure for entire schools in
Africa.  To them 32-bit support will be crucial for as long as the
machines can run.

Regards
Charl