Disabling deb-src by default

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre mathieu.tl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 01:25:03 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 3:52 AM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Usama Akkad [2016-01-28 10:38 +0200]:
> > Source packages are enabled by default.
>
> We don't enable them by default on cloud images, so I guess it can't
> be a legal requirement to have them. ubuntu-dev-tools has
> pull-lp-source which works without local apt sources, but we don't
> install that by default -- and we shouldn't as-is as it has a horribly
> heavy dependency chain.

Assuming there isn't a legal reason for having it enabled by default at all
times, could those be disabled only on the final image that we ship for a
release? They might in fact be useful for developers and normal users, even
if we have other things like pull-lp-source. It should always be easy for
users to get the source code for the software they are running, and I think
apt-get source already gives us that.

Flipping the switch on whether or not deb-src lines would be enabled by
default on install could be as simple as a preseed entry that we add to the
usual preseed file on images.

It would also be useful to have a tool like apt-add-repository that can
toggle the state of the source entries. software-properties-gtk can already
do it.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.tl at gmail.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl at gmail.com
4096R/DC95CA5A 36E2 CF22 B077 FEFE 725C  80D3 C7DA A946 DC95 CA5A