dark theme out of the box

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Feb 17 12:14:45 UTC 2016

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 12:19:59 +0100, Alex ARNAUD wrote:
>Ubuntu Mate as I know provide dark theme. Gnome3 also provides
>contract theme. I don't use Unity so I don't know anything about it.

Do those dark theme work flawlessly with all apps using different
versions of Qt, GTK or whatsoever? What ever WM or DE I used, I never
have seen a dark theme that didn't cause serious issues. I always used
and still use bright themes only. I would like to be able to switch
between a dark theme and a bright theme. By daylight a bright theme
avoids light reflexes in the monitor and by night a dark theme is
relaxing for the eyes, however, since I'm using apps based on all kinds
of framework, there seems to be no dark theme available that allows to
use all apps without issues.

This issue isn't related to Ubuntu or a dedicated WM or DE, it's a
general Linux GUI issue. AFAIK there's no usable dark theme available.